Repairing or replacing a lost or damaged phone can be expensive. But, using insurance to cover the costs can be a very easy option.
What can you claim for?
It’s important to check the terms and condition of your insurance cover but you can usually claim if:
- Your phone’s lost
- Your phone’s been stolen
- You’ve broken your phone
How to make a claim
If you think your phone’s been stolen, it’s important to contact your local police station. Getting in touch with your network provider is also a good idea so they can prevent any unauthorised use of your phone.
- Call your insurance provider on their claims number.
- Explain what’s happened to your phone.
- If your insurer has asked for any supporting documents, it’s a good idea to get proof of postage.
What do I need to provide when making a claim?
Some insurance companies may ask you to prove that you bought the phone or that it’s registered in your name.
You may be asked to provide a receipt as well as a photo to prove that the phone’s yours (a picture of you and the phone) and has been damaged.
If you’ve agreed to pay excess in your insurance, you may also need to send payment for this. Sometimes this is automatically deducted from the cost of your claim.
It’s important to check your policy documents for full details on how to make a claim.
What is excess?
Excess is the amount of money that you have to pay towards each claim. For example, if you have excess of £100 and you claim for £300, your insurer will only pay you £200.
How will my claim be settled?
Once your insurer has looked at your claim, it could be settled with
- A repair
- A replacement
- Bank or cheque transfer
Important factors to consider
- If your phone needs to be repaired, it could take weeks before it’s returned to you.
- You may have to pay any remaining balance on your insurance premium before your claim is settled.
- Your claim may be rejected.
Why could my claim be rejected?
Your claim could be rejected if:
- You acted carelessly and the damage is deemed as your fault.
- You didn’t report the claim quickly enough.
- You gave false information when making the claim or taking out the cover.
- The cause of the damage is excluded in your policy.
Claiming on your phone insurance is not only easy but can also help pay for damages or a replacement phone.
If you think your claim’s been rejected unfairly, you can complain to your insurer. Remember it’s important to check the terms and condition of your insurance before making any claim.